Thursday 1 March 2012

Pad Thai - a shortcut that works

In my search for getting that authentic taste out of real ingredients that make up traditional dishes I have always managed to fail when it comes Pad Thai. The pad thai I used to eat in Nong Khai in Thailand was exquisite but I never learned to make it from my neighbours during the brief time that I was living there. Recipes on the web and in books never seemed to come even remotely close to what I wanted.
I did however have a massive craving for pad thai recently but as it was late on a Sunday I did not have all of the ingredients - this however I think will surprise you enormously - you don't actually need the thousand and one hard to find ingredients. Have a look at this.





Ingredients :

1) Cheap unsweetened crunchy peanut butter
2) fish sauce
3) lime
4) bean sprouts
5) vermicelli noodles
6) chicken stock
7) beef/tofu/chicken/pork
8) Sweet/Holy Basil and Chilli paste



Method :

In equal measures mix fish sauce, lime juice and chicken stock - enough to marinade well with a little sauce left over whatever meat and veggies you decide to chuck it. Whilst stir-frying the lot, add a teaspoonful of the basil and chilli paste (to taste - it's not that hot) and then stir in with a little water some peanut butter. Add them to cooked vermicelli noodles and voila. 

No comments:

Post a Comment